Search Engine Optimisation For Ecommerce Websites
I recently took on my first Ecommerce website client and I have really enjoyed the experience of Ecommerce website optimisation.
If you have an existing Ecommerce website that requires optimising then please use my contact form.
Carrying out SEO on an Ecommerce site isn’t much different from carrying out search engine optimisation on a non Ecommerce website but the main challenges come from creating ways in which to get suitable content into the website.
A lot of Ecommerce websites contain products descriptions that are very basic or simply generic product descriptions taken from the manufacturers brochure or website. You have to find ways of developing this content and implementing SEO techniques that make the Ecommerce website optimisation a success.
A typical Ecommerce website contains a few hundred pages and larger sites can run into tens of thousands of pages. Starting an Ecommerce website with a clear SEO strategy is advisable but in many cases that isn’t the case and an existing Ecommerce website optimisation strategy has to be put in place.
Here are some tips to help get your Ecommerce website ahead in the rankings:
Ecommerce Website Optimisation Tips
1. Create an SEO friendly URL structure.
2. Create and maintain a clean and uniform site structure. The home page should promote the product categories whilst all the internal pages should follow a clear path easily understood by both search engines and customers .
3. Every product page should have a unique title. This is one of the most important areas of Ecommerce website optimisation. Products can be very similar but try and differentiate them from one another by some unique variation.
4. Select an appropriate unique keyword for every webpage reflecting the important phrases within the webpage content.
5. Create an interesting and relevant description for each page. This description is the snippet which appears in the search engine results pages and the more interesting you make the wording the better chance you have of getting a potential customer to click through to your website.
6. Create a visible ‘Breadcrumb’ navigation structure which will enable customers to find their way through your website easily. A breadcrumb navigation structure may look something like:
Home>Furniture>Chairs>Leather Chairs>Brown Leather Chairs
This helps to indicate to visitors whereabouts they are in the site and offers them shortcut links to previous pages. It also improves Ecommerce website optimisation.
7. If the content management system of your Ecommerce website allows use a Heading Tag as the searchbots assign a lot of importance to it. The heading tag is SEO friendly and can be used to format the title of the web page content.
8. Optimize all images by completing the Alt tags using relevant keywords. This is the alternative text that the search engines can read as they cannot read images on their own.
9. Optimize Anchor Text: Anchor text appears between the anchor opening and closing tag. It is good practice to use keywords as the anchor text.
10. Generate a XML Sitemap which will help the searchbots to find and index all the webpages. If the Ecommerce website has hundreds of pages you can generate and submit multiple sitemaps.
11. Submít your site manually to SEO friendly directories. Filling in the submission forms manually and carefully helps to make the directory administrators job an easier one and hopefully approve a link to your site.
12. Submít quality articles with titles and content relevant to your website and keywords to article directories and social bookmarking sites. Article submission is an important part of Ecommerce website optimisation as it is one of the quickest ways of gaining high quality backlinks. Submit the article url’s to do follow bookmarking sites.You need to select the do follow bookmarking sites and submit the URL to them. .
13. Only use a Secure Payment Gateway which displays a Trust Seal.
14. Monitor the success of your Ecommerce website optimisation with a good analytics tool. There are some excellent free analytics tools available but if you have a particularly large site you may have to spend some money on a paid version. You can track and analyze visitor behavior with a good analytics tool.
Ecommerce Website Optimisation Service
Putting the above tips into practice can help your Ecommerce website rank well and attract quality traffic.
If however you don’t have the time or patience to perform your own Ecommerce website optimisation programme please contact me with details about your site and I’ll get back to you with proposals.